Saturday, November 19, 2011

Dog Training

I am and have always been an animal lover. As a child I dreamed of working part time and running a animal rescue out of my home. I foresaw a nice house, on a few acres of land, with a custom built dog house for the dogs I would rescue. But as I grew older my child hood dream fell to the way-side. I do not work part time as I hoped (I also saw myself married to a rich man who would make all the money. Hey, a girl can dream, can't she?). I also do not run nor manage a dog rescue group. But I did do my part for animal rescue. I adopted this adorable little pooch
And I rescued these precious ones as kittens.

Maybe in time my dream will surface but for now I will advocate for the animals in need.

Now on to my purpose for this post. When we adopted Miss. Trinity I had in mind that we would train her ourselves. Then, I thought to myself. Well I've never trained a dog before and Zach was young when he first got his golden, Goldrush (Mr. Goldrush to be more exact) so therefore he has never formally trained a dog. Mr Goldrush did know some stuff like "Hurry up if you want treats" and  "nose-level" but I'll get to his 'tricks' at a later time. But here's a sneak peek at him. What a handsome little senior he was!

Here's her certificate from puppy kindergarten!
I looked online for a place to take Trinity to for puppy kindergarten. I knew I didn't want to take her to Petsmart or Petco for training. I wanted to be able to have her go into agility and those places are not equipped to do it. Plus, those places take in people and give them a quick course to go threw and bam! your a "dog trainer". Well, that's not exactly how it works. I finally came across a dog training place in Franklin, which is not too far from our house.

So in May we took her for a drop in class on a Saturday to see if we liked it. We didn't just like it, we loved it! We signed her up for the next available class and now I'm hooked. We've done Puppy Kindergarten, 2 courses graduate puppy & 2 courses of puppy agility. Were going onto our third graduate puppy class in December, the dogs are allowed to be in it up to a year old and she still gets to have play time.


We're holding off on her agility for now (I'll let you know why at a later date) but eventually I would like her to get her Canine Good Citizen and I want to start her in some beginner competition obedience classes. We have a long road ahead of us but I know she can do it. She's done great so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment